May 22, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Every year I anxiously await this weekend. After a long winter and a cold damp spring, this long weekend signifies the beginning of summer for me and many other canadians.

Victoria Day celebrates Queen Victoria's birthday (May 24th). Canada is still a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, of which the Queen is head.

Victoria Day is always on a Monday, and thus the holiday is part of a long weekend, which is commonly referred to as the Victoria Day Weekend, the May Long Weekend or the May Two-Four (a case of beer here is called a "two-four" and many of these are consumed over the holiday).

For me, this weekend is always the time to open my garden. My husband is banned from using the truck as I need it to fill it to the brim with flowers, dirt, mulch, some vegtable plants and whatever else should catch my eye......and that's just what I did today.

It's been a long tiring day....I'm very dirty, sticky and not very pretty smelling, so it's off to the showers for me. I will post pics of all my beautiful finds very soon.

No comments: